Allergy and Immunology
Address for Applications:
Director: Stephen F. Kemp, MD
Associate Director: S. Rubina Inamdar, MD
|Todd N. Adkins, MD 1
||Asthma, rhinitis, sinusitis
|Stanley W. Chapman, MD 1 3
||ABIM, ABAI, Infect Dis
||Infectious diseases, fungal infections, immunodeficiency
|Richard D. deShazo, MD 1,2,3
||ABIM, ABAI, Rheum, Geriatrics
||Allergic fungal sinusitis, asthma, drug allergy, autoimmunity, fire ant allergy
|James R. Haltom, MD 1
||ABP, ABAI, Ped Pulm
||Asthma, rhinitis, other pulmonary diseases
|S. Rubina Inamdar, MD 1,3,4
||Sinusitis, asthma, rhinitis, drug allergy
|Stephen F. Kemp, MD 1,3,4
||ABIM, ABAI, CLI
||Anaphylaxis, asthma, rhinoscopy, drug allergy, clinical immunology, fire ant allergy
|Gailen D. Marshall, Jr., MD, PhD 1,2,3,4
||ABIM, ABAI, CLI
||Immunoregulation, psychoneuro-immunology, asthma risk in rhinitis, elevated IgE in non-allergic conditions
|John E. Moffitt, MD 1,3
||Asthma, rhinitis, insect allergy
|Sitesh R. Roy, MD 1,2,3,4
|Daniel L. Venarske, MD 1
||ABIM, ABP, ABAI
||Asthma, rhinitis, sinusitis
|James G. Wilson, MD 1,2,3
||Systemic lupus erythematosus, clinical immunology and rheumatology, genetic basis for disease
|Anne B. Yates, MD 1,3,4
||Asthma, immunodeficiency, insect allergy, drug allergy
Faculty Table Legend
- 1 - Clinical Training
- 2 - Basic Research
- 3 - Clinical Research
- 4 - Full Time (Academic) Faculty
- ABAI - American Board of Allergy and Immunology
- ABP - American Board of Pediatrics
- ABIM - American Board of Internal Medicine
- CLI - Clinical and Laboratory Immunology
Major Goals of Training Program:
This is a combined medicine-pediatrics program that permits entry of residents trained in internal medicine, pediatrics, or both. Trainees receive in-depth experience in the diagnosis and management of the full spectrum of allergic and immunologic diseases in both children and adults. Subspecialty residents are involved in outpatient and consultative care at the University of Mississippi Medical Center Hospitals and Clinics, the G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and private physicians' offices. They are expected to conduct and teach clinical and basic research, which results in presentations at regional and national meetings and in publication in select peer-reviewed journals.
|Trainees Accepted Each Year:
|Duration of Fellowship:
||2 years (optional third year for dedicated research)
|Number of Graduates Last 5 Years and Subsequent Career Choice:
||Program approved 2004; first graduate plans private practice, possibly with clinical faculty affiliation, upon completion June 30, 2006
||Participant in ERAS, effective December 2006 at which time will accept applications for 2008-2010 cycle
|Joint Residency (Fellowship) Availability:
|Electives for Residents and Students:
||ABP or ABIM eligibility
- deShazo RD , Swain RE, Chapin K. Fungal sinusitis. N Engl J Med 1997;337:254-259.
- deShazo RD , O'Brien MM, Justice WK, Pitcock JP. Diagnostic criteria for sarcoidosis of the sinuses. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1999;103:789-795.
- Kemp SF , Lockey RF, eds. Diagnostic Testing of Allergic Disease . New York: Marcel Dekker, 2000.
- Cohen L, Marshall GD Jr , Cheng L, Agarwal SK, Wei Q. DNA repair capacity in healthy medical students during and after exam stress. J Behav Med 2000;23:531-44.
- Kemp SF , deShazo RD , Moffitt JE , Williams DF, Buhner WA. Expanding habitat of the imported fire ant (Solenopsis invicta): a public health concern. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2000;105:683-91.
- Yates AB , Shaw SG, Moffitt JE . Spontaneous resolution of profound hypogammaglobulinemia. South Med J 2001; 94:1215-1216.
- Kemp SF , Lockey RF. Anaphylaxis: a review of causes and mechanisms. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2002;110:341-8.
- Holla AD, Roy SR , Liu AH. Endotoxin, atopy and asthma. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2002;2:141-5.
- Moffitt JE , Venarske D, Goddard J, Yates AB , deShazo RD . Allergic reactions to Triatoma bites. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2003:91:122-28.
- Roy SR , Schiltz AM, Marotta A, Shen Y, Liu AH. Bacterial DNA in house and farm barn dust. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003;112:571-8.
- Yates AB , deShazo RD . Allergic and nonallergic drug reactions. South Med J 2003;96:1080-7.
- Yi GB, McClendon WD, Desaiah D, et al. The fire ant venom alkaloid, Isosolenopsin A, a potent and selective inhibitor of neuronal nitric oxide synthase. International J Toxicol 2003;22:81-86.
- Moffitt JE , Golden DB, Reisman RE, Lee R, et al. Stinging insect hypersensitivity: a practice parameter update. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004;114:869-86.
- Hollier LM, Rivera MK, Henninger ED, Gilstrap LC III, Marshall GD Jr . T helper cell cytokine profiles in preterm labor. Am J Reprod Immunol 2004;52:192-6.
- Marshall GD Jr . Neuroendocrine mechanisms of immune dysregulation: applications to allergy and asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2004;93:S11-17.
- deShazo RD , Kemp SF , deShazo MD, Goddard J. Fire ant attacks on patients in nursing homes: an increasing problem. Am J Med 2004;116:843-6.
- Lieberman P, Kemp SF , Oppenheimer J, Lang DM, Bernstein IL, Nicklas RA, chief eds. The diagnosis and management of anaphylaxis: an updated practice parameter, 2nd ed. Joint Task Force on Practice Parameters for Allergy and Immunology. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2005;115:S483-S523.
- Howell G, Butler J, deShazo RD , et al. Cardiodepressant and neurologic actions of Solenopsis invicta (imported fire ant) venom alkaloids. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2005;94:380-6. s